Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Birthday to the best friend, I lost.

Forever since we last cared. 5 yrs since we last spoke. 2 yrs since we last met.

Its been a long while since I last saw you in my mind. Boy you sure crept silently this time. For years now, I hv lived my life just fine. Without thinking, without missing and without any hint of you.

But amazingly, today I did what I promised myself to do all those time ago. I promised to nv let a morning come without me wishing you a good day. I promised to nv let a day go without me wishing you safety and happinness. I promised to nv let a night pass without me bidding you "good night, don't let the bed bugs bite". Haha.

Today my friend, you will have a good morning, a good day and a good night. :)

It feels weird to once again realise... Hey, my past was no dream. We are just two different ppl walking down two different roads. The junction tt we used to meet is no longer and the nxt intersection is far far down. But nonetheless, we are living well. :)

I nv once told you, many gifts I can throw away without a second thought. But everytime I pack my room and put your tiny perfume bottles, your sch bookshop acquisitions and all your silly little things my mother nags me to give away into the "consideration" pile, they always find their way back into my drawer. Always.

Do you remember when I wanted to climb to the highest point in the 'spider web' of Pasir Ris Park and the mean ppl sitting up there wouldn't let me? You would shout at them only to get laughed at. Nevermind that they were bigger and stronger and looked really mean. When I finally reached the top, it got so scary I cried and you held my hand as we made our way down.

Do you remember where we played sparklers? By the playground at your house. You would form a heart-shape or my name in the sand and I would sulk whenever the sticks burned down.

How abt the times where you snail mailed me letters and drawings? Your letters were long but with words so crooked and big. I cannot remember what you said and I nv kept any. I only remember you wrote abt Bon Jovi in a generation of Backstreet Boys. I thought you were queer. Your drawings were in colour pencil and were always abt houses. The kampong type with the grass roof and square windows. I teased you because you always hv a chimney with smoke coming out of it, when a grass roof would hv just caught fire. :P

We liked playing crossword puzzles on the bus and I always lost. You would then make fun of my English standard which pissed me off so much I started a word bank book writing in every new word I found in storybooks so I could beat you the nxt time.

When Escape theme park opened and I was too short to go on some rides, you passed up your chance bcoz I was disappointed and you didn't want to add "jealously mad" to the list. Heh.

I still remember the times when we smsed while you were in detention or was it compulsory study period? You complained and bitched abt the teacher. I didn't comfort, I didn't sympathise instead, I ranted bcoz I felt it was for your own good.

This may come as a surprise but I do rmbr when you asked abt my prom. I told you I didn't ask you "because you are not anyone special" but I conveniently forgot to mention tt non-Damaian dates were actually not allowed.

You were my first real Valentine. But you didn't set the mark high by forgetting to buy flowers and I was upset. Lol. Tt night, I forgot to thank you for coming from so faraway so I would not be alone and I forgot to thank you for walking me home and becoming the first boy to complain abt the dist frm the bus stop to my house.

You had asked if I liked someone. I did but I didn't want to tell you who.

Today when all these memories flashed back. The moments we shared, the ppl we hv gone on to meet and fall in love with. I was surprised my heart didn't ache like it used to those yrs ago when everything between us stopped.

So I think now is an appropriate time to ans the question you asked nearly 7 years ago. I refused to admit it before bcoz I wasn't sure if it was a one-sided thing. I wasn't prepared to take the consequences shld life as I know it, well, change. I hid all the photos and all the gifts. I threw away the cards and letters.

I liked you. It wasn't love. I didn't know what love was yet.

But I let time pass. I let the the feelings die. I let change take over both you and me. Today, I take back the promise I made to think of you daily. You are happy now and I am happy for you.

From the bottom of my heart, you will always be a v treasured friend.

Happy 21st.

不可能回去那天真无邪的时代...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home